Please kindly be informed, in particular, as follows:
The proceeding for accreditation will start on 3 June 2020, at 10.00 am, and will end on 9 June 2020, 10.00 am. Please send your application for accreditation, which must include all necessary details, to the following press box address:
firstname.lastname@example.org or fax number 004969 1367-8382.
The successful accreditation is not connected with a specific seat. The seats will be assigned in the sequence of personal appearence in front of the court room (principle of successive assignment). Please kindly note that there are two separate queues for viewers (right side to the entrance door) and for media representatives (left side to the entrance door). Please strictly observe the necessary safety distance.
The press gallery contains 19 seats; the media room contains place for further 41 individuals. On the press gallery face mask must be worn.
The press reporting by sound, audio and picture/video is assigned on basis of defi-ned pools. The agreement of the media institutions concerned shall be made by the leader of the respective media pool until 5 June 2020 the latest.
The specific regulations are contained in the following text of the courtroom order (fat print by the press office):
- For the accredited media representatives, 19 seats in total are reserved in Court Room 165, Court Building C, in compliance with the requirements of necessary physical distance. If these requirements are lifted in the future, 60 seats are available in total for accredited media representatives.
- An audio transmission in the Room Bad-Homburg, Court Building B, 4th Floor, Gerichtsstraße 2, 60313 Frankfurt/Main, pursuant to sec. 169 para. 1 sentence 3 of the Court Constitution Act (Gerichtsverfassungsgesetz, GVG) will be established depending on the number of applications for accreditation. 41 seats are available in that room in accordance with the requirements of necessary physical distance and the installed Perspex disc separations. The general house order (Hausverfügung) of the Regional Court (Landgericht, LG) applies to this area.
- All media representatives, fotographers and camera teams, who are interested in a participation in the main trial, are kindly asked to transmit their valid press card or card of their broadcasting or television institution under the Press Act and/or a letter of reference (confirmation of employment or commission) of such broadcasting or television institutions or another proof of their journalistic work to the press office of the Higher Regional Court (OLG) Frankfurt/Main by e-mail to email@example.com or by fax under the fax number 004969 1367-8382 for accreditation. The information must contain the complete name (first name and last name), date of birth, the media institution (legal person), the e-mail address and the information whether the position as media pool leader would be accepted.
Applications for accreditation, which are received in other form as detailed above, cannot be accepted and will not be forwarded. For each media institution, only one representative can be admitted (for reason of the restricted number of seats and the high public interest in the trial).
- The time period will start on 3 June 2020, at 10.00 am, and will end on 9 June 2020, at 10.00 am. Applications for accreditation, which are filed before or after the afo-rementioned period, will not be accepted.
The accreditation process is conducted by the press office oft he Higher Regional Court (OLG) Frankfurt/Main.
After the expiry of the aforementioned period the media representatives will be informed by e-mail whether they have been accredited or not. Please carry along with you a con-firmation of your accreditation each time you will be present at the court proceedings and show it to the court guards.
III. Press, radio and television reporting – creation of pools
- Audio and television recordings and pictures are exclusively allowed by accredited fotographers and camera teams 15 minutes before the respective session of the court and only from the back side area in front of the glass pane, which separates this area from the auditorium. For reason of limited space, the use of tripods is not allowed. Outside the aforementioned area, audio and television recordings and pictures are not allowed. This prohibition includes also the area outside the court room based on the general house order (Hausverfügung) oft he president of the Regional Court.
Audio and television recording and the taking of pictures shall stop with the call by the court.
- The following media pools will be established:
a) Regarding the accredited representatives of the television institutions, two teams will be admitted as pool leaders (each with one camera respectively), one team from the public television sector and one team from the private television sector.
b) Regarding the accredited press agencies, one fotographer will be admitted as pool leader.
c) Regarding the accredited freelance fotographers, one fotographer will be admitted as pool leader.
- The pool leaders shall provide their pictures and movie recordings upon request without undue delay in an adequate formate to other media institutions. Please kindly note that camera teams must apply for a permission to film (Drehgenehmigung) at the press office.
- The appointment of the pool leader is effected by the respective press and television institutions. Details of the agreement are concluded between the media institutions, the editorial offices, agencies and journalists concerned. The results of the agreement must be provided to the press office by e-mail (e-mail adress: firstname.lastname@example.org) until 5 June 2020 the latest.
- If no consensual solution is found by the parties involved, the press office, which is commissioned hereto by the presiding judge of the Senate, will make the relevant decisions. The respective pool leaders will, in such case, be announced by separate press information.
- Regarding the positioning of the cameras and the taking of the audio and picture material, the directives of the representatives of the press office and the court guards must be observed.
- The reservation of seats for media representatives is based on sec.125 para. 3 of the RiStBV. The number of seats reserved for media representatives in the courtroom is based on a distribution of approx. half shares between media represen-tatives and viewers and, hereby, complies with the principle of publicity according to sec. 169 para. 1 sentence 1 of the GVG.
The aforementioned orders concerning the pool solution for audio and television recording and the taking of pictures are required by the limited number of seats available and due to requirements of physical distance. A considerable media interest is to be expected, which requires the establishment of a pool.
The following regulations apply for reason of safety of the defendants and further participants of the trial and to ensure an undisturbed course oft he main trial pursuant to sec. 176 GVG:
- All viewers and media representatives are admitted exclusively by the entrance for the auditorium (Konrad-Adenauer-Strasse) in the court room. The doors between the court room and the other court rooms shall be kept closed.
- Viewers and media representatives must show their identity/press cards and must submit to a central entrance control. They are to be searched for items which might be used for a disturbance of the trial proceedings. The accredited media representatives, fotographers and camera teams must give proof of their respective identity by valid identity card or travel passport and their confirmation of accreditation.
- Critial items are kept in custody. Bags and other receptacles, radio equipment, cameras and video cameras, laptops and other devices with audio and/or pic-ture recording funcionalities must be deposited. This includes, in particular, mobile phones. Fotographers and camera teams are exempted from the aforementio-ned orders fort he period of 15 minutes before the start of the respective main trial session.
- Viewers and media representatives shall not be admitted if they refuse to deposit the aformentioned items.
- Audio and television recordings and the taking of pictures of the main trial are prohibited. Parties of the trial shall switch off their mobile phones in the court room.
- Viewers and media representatives must wear a mouth-nose-mask for reason of infection protection (COVID illness). The covering of the whole face is prohibited pursuant to sec. 176 para. 2 of the GVG. This also applies to the wearing of mouth-nose-masks.
V. Assignment of seats
- Viewers and media representatives are admitted 90 minutes before the beginning of each trial session in the court room.
- The seats of the media gallery in the court room will successively be assigned by the order of personal appearance as follows:
In a primary step for the accredited media representatives,
In a secondary step for non-accredited media representatives, if the number of accredited media representatives applying for admission is lower than the number of total seats available.
Accredited media representatives, who do not receive a place in the media gallery, will be seated according to the successive order of their personal appearance in front of the court room seats in the media room, to the extent that such seats are still available.The media representatives receive, on time of their personal appearance in front of the court room in successive order, a number, which must be shown on admission to the court room or the media room respectively. No. 1 through 19 refer to the media gallery, no 20 through 60 to the media room.
- Viewers will be admitted in the order of their appearance in front of the court room. The number of viewers to be admitted shall not exceed the (non-barred) number of seats reserved for viewers. A seat shall not be used by two viewers.
- Non-accredited media representatives can be admitted to the area reserved for the media, if they provide proof of their journalistic profession (e.g., by submission of a valid press card or a card of a broadcasting or television institution under the Press Act and/or a letter of reference) and if the number of accredited media representatives applying for entry is lower than the number of seats available. In case of doubt the presiding judge decides.
- Seats, which are not/no longer occupied at the beginning of the trial session – including the area reserved for viewers and the media gallery – can be given to media representatives and/or viewers. If viewers or media representatives leave their seats in breaks of the court sessions they will not lose their claim to the seat, if they occupy their seat immediately after the end of the break. Reservations are not allowed. In case of doubt the presiding judge decides.
- The assignment of the seats in accordance with the successive personal appearance is based on the consideration that all accredited media representatives and all viewers shall have an equal chance in the process of assignment.
VI. Change of the Court Room
The Senate expressively reserves the right to continue the trial in Room II, Court Building E, Hammelgasse 1, 60313 Frankfurt/Main. Of the 16 seats for viewers, 8 places shall be reserved for media representatives. The assignment of the seats applies according to the abovementioned principles, i.e. the principle of assignment by successive order of personal appearance (point of time of arrival in front of the court room).
English version: Dr. Charlotte Rau